Kool & Elfring is a guitar amplifier manufacturing company privately owned by amp designer Aryjan Kool. The company is located 45 km north of Amsterdam in the Netherlands.
Passion for tone
Our amps are made to inspire and have a truly unique character and feel, a delicate blend of the perfect organic gain-structure, ‘punching’ frequency response, dynamic response, sustain and definition.
Maximum tone, minimum ‘bells and whistles’
All our products are slimmed down to what you really need: Amazing tone, easy to use with features that are truly beneficial to your music.
No compromise on tone and quality
Kool & Elfring is all about creating the most brilliant sounding, most durable and user-friendly tone machines on the planet. To achieve extraordinary high quality we do not leave anything to chance. We design our products without deadlines and budget limits. We combine state-of-the-art technology with old-world-craftsmanship using the best components and the finest materials available. Every Kool & Elfring product is build in our own custom shop, right here in the Netherlands.
Beauty comes from within
All Kool & Elfring products use “Long life", "low noise", "tight tolerance”, "military grade" components.
To sum up some:
- Hammond custom transformers (Canada)
- Belton tube sockets (micaflex) (USA)
- NKK switches (Japan)
- Switchcraft Switches (USA)
- Amphenol jacks (USA)
- Neutrik jacks (Liechtenstein)
- Vishay capacitors (USA)
- Panasonic and Rubycon electrolytical capacitors, extra long life (Japan)
- Metal DIN connectors (EU)
- Apha 24 mm “Long Life” potentiometers (USA)
- Teflon coated wires (EU)
- FR4 PCB (Belgium)
- Steel "closed box" chassis (Netherlands)
- Long life, low noise, tight tolerance capacitors on kathodes assuring stable pre-amp tube bias over time
- 1% tolerance on almost all components. All amps that leave our factory sound exactly like our original design.
Unparalleled construction and craftsmanship:
- Potentiometers are handwired to pcb.
- No connectors in 'sound path', everything is handsoldered --> no tone and sustain loss.
- Rugged 1.5mm steel 'closed box' chassis against electro magnetic interference means no need for noise filter in K&E circuit and therefore no loss of tone and sustain.
- Tubes of different brands are used in different positions for maximum tone and performance.
- Printed circuit boards are mounted torque free. E.g. Pre-amp pcb’s are mounted with 9 screws (!) on metal pcb-supports. All tube-sockets have strainreleived construction (Belton Micaflex) and are mounted in crosses of the 9 mounting screws preventing the PCB from bending.
- Thick printed circuit boards with metalised through hole solder-pads and FR4 thick-copper printed circuit (low electrical resistance means better tone, sustain and longer life.
- All components are hand soldered to PCB.
We believe durability is the key to sustainability. Therefore our products are extremely low maintenance and designed and built to last a lifetime. Furthermore we use *FSC certified wood, **RoHS compliant materials and production methods combined with a strict waste-management.